Variable speed coupling
The unique non-contact Variable Speed Drive VSD without harmonics
Modify the speed of the load side
- Speed can be actively adjusted to control flow and pressure during operation to follow a process variable such as pressure or flow.
- The mechanical Variable Speed Drive is easy to install and, unlike VFDs, has no harmonics.
- Energy savings up to -50%.
- The V-TORQ is suitable for motors from 7.5kW to 375kW (10HP to 500HP) at speeds from 750rpm to 3,600rpm.
- Like all Zytec drives, the V-TORQ is a non-contact design, which eliminates or greatly reduces problems associated with misalignment, vibration and shock loads.
Why use a V-TORQ variable speed non-contact drive?
The specific advantage of a V-TORQ is the ability to variably reduce the speed of the load during operation.
There are many reasons why you want to adjust the speed:
- Match drive speed, torque or power to process requirements
- Save energy and improve system efficiency
- Improve the work environment by eliminating fan noise
- Reduce mechanical stress on machinery to extend equipment lifetime.
- Control motor ramp-up and ramp-down during startup or shutdown
The V-TORQ is a mechanical variable speed drive, as opposed to a VFD, which controls the motor electronically. V-TORQ is used because
- It is easy to install compared to the complex VFD.
- No harmonics. This means no need for sinusoidal filters, harmonic filters or air conditioners.
- No EMC, which means no interference with sensors, etc.
- Motor cooling is stable and not reduced like a VFD
- No grooving of motor bearings
- Applicable to all pre-1999 motors
- Easily applicable in ATEX environments without the need for long expensive shielded cabling.
Of course you choose a V-TORQ because it is easy to install compared to a VFD. Where a VFD creates a lot of additional operating costs, such as reduced motor life, harmonics in your power grid, EMC causing sensor failure, etc., the V-TORQ only reduces operating costs. The combination of energy savings and mechanical benefits means that the total cost of ownership of a V-TORQ is much lower than a VFD.
What does the V-Torq variable speed non-contact drive do for you?
The V-TORQ consists of an A-TORQ.SF drive in combination with a Motor Sliding Base. The Motor Sliding Base (MSB) moves the motor axially to adjust the air gap of an A-TORQ.SF coupling between 3-25mm. This can be done manually with a wrench if adjustment is not required frequently. For example, if you have a summer and winter setting.
If you need to adjust more often, you can use an actuator to adjust the motor sliding base. This actuator can be integrated into your process automation. We recommend using an AUMA actuator, but you can use the actuator brand you are familiar with.
If you are already using an A-TORQ.SF as a fixed speed reduction, you can upgrade it to a variable speed drive by using an MSB. Upgrading to a V-TORQ.SF can be decided at a later stage.
For back pull-out pumps it is possible to move the motor backwards up to 200mm by using the MSB. This means that a ‘spacer’ is no longer required. In the event that the pump needs to be repaired, the maintenance time and effort is greatly reduced.
The V-TORQ. SF is maintenance free. Like the A-TORQ.SF, the MSB requires no special maintenance. All that is required is a regular inspection to make sure everything is running smoothly. This is a big difference compared to a VFD, which needs to be regularly cleaned of dust and constantly cooled. A VFD also has a limited lifespan of 6-10 years, after which the availability of parts, chips or updates is often an issue.
With V-TORQ the total cost of ownership decreases, while your non-contact drive ensures a smooth and uninterrupted process with minimal downtime.
The V-TORQ creates a drive with no physical contact between the shafts
The V-TORQ is a variable speed drive, but with no physical contact between the motor and the pump/fan. This is a unique distinction from a VFD and has many advantages:
- Unavoidable misalignment during operation is eliminated.
- No laser alignment required
- No shaft loads on motor and load shaft.
- The cause of bearing and seal failure is eliminated.
- Motor bearing life is extended to design life.
- Seal life is significantly extended.
- Vibrations are reduced by up to 80%.
- A smoother start and stop (mechanical soft starter).
Eliminate the root cause of failure
Although we live and work in exciting times with unique innovations, industrial companies sometimes have to hit the brakes. New and exciting technology solutions seem to be everywhere, but there is one big obstacle that slows the innovation process down:
- There is a general shortage of skilled staff (especially technical maintenance personnel) in complex industrial plants.
- How can we fill this so-called ‘workforce gap’ on short notice by eliminating the root cause of failure in industrial machines?
Smart, simple, often overlooked
One of the smartest (but often overlooked) solutions is simply eliminating maintenance needs as much as possible. This may seem easier said than done. But there really is a straightforward solution when industries review their pumps and couplings.
Using magnetic couplings will eliminate most of the causes of machine breakdowns and enhance the reliability of your machines. Magnetic couplings eliminate the root cause of many machines’ failure, resulting in low TCO and less waste of time and materials.
Read all about this in the Whitepaper ‘Eliminate the Root Cause of Failure’. Where we take a closer look at the solution of the magnetic couplings to:
- Eliminate the root cause of failures affecting your machines
- Find the missing piece of the puzzle to fill the workforce gap.
Benefit from our knowledge
Read the latest news